Sunday, February 13, 2011

Austin, Here We Come!

Hey yo,

So on Monday I will be heading north. My "sister" has a doctor's appointment in Austin and she decided that she feels strong enough to stay up there afterwards so we will be making the one-way trip on Valentine's Day. Once there, I will be working more intensively with development issues for VIDES and helping out with the Oratory at the parish, among other things I'm sure.

Most of the sisters are heading out for a retreat for religious this afternoon, so I have some quiet time to myself which I plan to use for packing and sharing a few more stories of these delightful ladies with you all.

Last night there was a Spurs game on and, not being a big basketball fan, enthusiastic nuns aside, I decided to go see what was going down in the other room. One of the sisters and I had started this tradition of meeting up in the activity room after the "good-night" and watching a movie together while doing quaint domestic tasks like needle-work and mending. We watched "The Waltz King" about the Strauss family, a movie about Mary appearing in Syria, nice, wholesome gems.  She always turns the volume waaay up and then asks "Is this good for you? I have a hearing aid so I am fine but if you need it louder you can turn it up." :)  So last night I went in there and sure enough she was getting her stuff set up and she had the newspaper with her. She said we could watch a movie or there was something that she had seen in the paper, "a premiere" which we could watch too. We scanned the page for awhile until she found it again..."Ah, the 40 year old virgin, look, three stars!" "Look, rate at R" I yelled. "Huh?"
Fortunately she is sweet-natured and accommodating so when I pulled out another movie she was willing to acquiesce. ...And then I realized just how much swearing is in "Return to Me." Oh well, she liked the cute animals.

Yesterday at breakfast one of the sisters told us this story about when she had to sub in a classroom for another teacher. They were talking about Epiphany and how the three wise men came to see baby Jesus because he was going to be the king of the Jews, and how Herod stopped and questioned them on their way because, you see, he was also the king of the Jews and was nervous about there being another king. One of the kids interrupted and asked "What kind of Jews, apple jews or orange jews...?"

Well, that's all for now. It's been beautiful and lovely and I love the sisters so much but I feel ready to go. Another sister came up to me this morning while I was drying the dishes in the kitchen and singing "Remember When It Rained" at full volume and said "Don't make me cry. You are leaving us?" "Yes." "Why you want to leave us?" "It's time. I will miss you, I love you all so much, but we'll see each other again." "Okay." "Okay."

Hugs and love,
Mary

1 comment:

  1. I told my Jewish friend the jews story today at our Fondue party. She almost died of laughter. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete